Frequently Asked Questions
The only way to know 100% is have indoor air quality (IAQ) testing performed or a professional mold inspection, common signs that you have mold in your home included:
- Frequent unexplained coughing or sneezing
- Runny nose or congestion
- Headaches and sore throat
- Unexplained rashes
- Abnormal breathing issues
- Hypersensitivities to the environment
We typically say if you can smell mold than you have mold! With the Coastal Pure Air advanced process we treat the entire property completely eliminating mold and all associated mold spores and airborne contaminants. Coastal Pure Air can perform an Indoor Air Quality Sampling test (IAQ) to determine exactly what type and concentration of mold is in your home. Air samples collects mold spores and reveals the types of mold present at the time of sampling and in what quantities. Most importantly an indoor air quality test will indicate if there is mold contamination that is not visible. All of our air samples are verified by an accredited 3rd party lab, with results typically take 4-5 business days and a comprehensive report will be emailed directly to you
The home will need to be vacant during the dry fog process, so plan a place for you and your pets to be during the services. An average home can be completed within 3-4 hours, although the entire size of the area treated will determine the amount of time needed to be vacant. You will receive a message a few days prior to your service that will confirm your appointment and give basic instructions on how to prepare your home. They are simple things like open all closets, close all windows, etc.
Our products are environmentally friendly and are registered with Health Canada and the EPA. People and pets need to be out of the home for about 3-4 hours during the treatment. Your belongings and electronics can all stay although we recommend any expensive art work to be moved to an area not being treated.
Our advanced process creates on average 7.5 micron sized particles. A mold spore is between 10 and 30 microns. Thus, any place a mold spore can get in or out of, the fog will penetrate those areas. In certain situations where there is a known issue behind a wall, we can poke a few 1/8 inch holes between the studs and treat the back of the wall directly and in severe cases where rot has occurred removal will be necessary.
If all moisture and water issues are resolved, this is a very permanent solution. With minor water issues like humidity or condensation on windows, utilizing a dehumidifier and keeping the relative humidity below 55% is recommended. In facilities where there are constant unavoidable moisture issues Coastal Pure Air can routinely take air sampling tests and determine an effective on going treatment program, ensuring you are take the most effective procedure to neutralize all microbial threats.
Coastal Pure Air brings the same technology utilized in hospital clean rooms, pharmaceutical labs and bio-medical facilities used in their decontamination processes. Our technology ensures a uniform dry fog delivery of our antimicrobial cold sterilant throughout the entire space achieving complete coverage with the highest possible efficacy on the market today with an Health Canada and EPA dry fog claim.
Coastal Pure Air utilizes the industry’s most advanced and powerful cold sterilant, Peracetic Acid (PAA). This solution harnesses the natural cleaning power of Hydrogen Peroxide & Acetic Acid, penetrating and disarming toxins at a molecular level. PAA disinfects by oxidizing the outer cellular membrane of bacterial cells, endospores, yeast, mold spores and other types of cells. Inside the cell it denatures proteins, disrupts cell wall permeability, and oxidizes sulfur bonds in enzymes turning it into inert matter. PAA irreversibly disrupts the cells systems and destroys it. Our cold sterilant has an EPA & Health Canada Registered Dry Fog Claim. The formula is non-flammable, non-corrosive, non-toxic, contains zero VOC’s and is biodegradable. After treatment it breaks down into water, oxygen and vinegar making it 100% safe for people and pets.
To eliminate stubborn odor problems in a basement, some homeowners will buy or rent an “ozone generator” – a machine that claims to eliminate odors such as cigarette smoke, chemical odors, cat urine, mold odors, and similar odors.
The United States Environmental Protection Agency makes it very clear that they do NOT recommend these devices, and also suggests that they can be dangerous and/or ineffective to use. Ozone is a toxic gas, and whether it’s in pure form or mixed with chemicals, it can be hazardous to your health.
Additionally these machines will not filter the air, and they will not remove large particles such as dust, dander, pollen, or mold spores (even dead mold spores are allergenic). It will also not eliminate water vapor or humidity or provide a long-term solution for mold, mildew, or dust mites.
The United States EPA has this to say about the effects of ozone on humans:
“The same chemical properties that allow high concentrations of ozone to react with organic material outside the body give it the ability to react with similar organic material that makes up the body, and potentially cause harmful health consequences. When inhaled, ozone can damage the lungs. Relatively low amounts can cause chest pain, coughing, shortness of breath, and, throat irritation. Ozone may also worsen chronic respiratory diseases such as asthma and compromise the ability of the body to fight respiratory infections.”
Protect what matters most
Coastal Pure Air provides professional remediation services to home and business owners across Vancouver Island. Call us below or visit our contact page to request an estimate.