As soon as you enter into a home with a musty moldy odour hitting your nose, it leaves you wondering where in your home is this odour coming from? The musty smell that is within your home can be caused by several factors residing in the environment and or the conditions that are present in the indoor space. Conditions such as humidity, temperature, air flow and ventilation can all contribute to the musty odour within your home. In addition, certain chemicals that are present within the home can also emulate the same aroma of mustiness in the air, such as certain VOC’s that are released off of building materials and furniture in the home.
What causes a musty moldy smell in a home?
Some of the most common causes of a musty moldy smell in a home will include the following;
- Water Leaks: A water leak that occurs indoors can come from plumbing leaks, air conditioning units, or other drainage hoses and pipes found throughout the home that could experience a buildup of moisture that will begin to slowly leak into the environment.
- Laundry Drains & Front Load Washers: Washing machines are used nearly every single day and with the use of water this can be a key place for musty odors to develop gradually, overtime. Front load washers, in particular, are known for its ability to retain water in the different nooks and crannies in the machine such as the rubber gasket seal that can result in mold and bacteria growth in this area – this will aid in the production of a musty smell.
- Windows: The windows inside of a home may also be an area where musty odors can form, and this is due to the condensation buildups that can over time develop into mold/mildew which will produce the musty odor in the air.
- Hidden Water Damage: There are always risks of water damaging occurring in your home in places that are not easily detectable – this can include rugs, carpeting, and behind wallpaper. As the water damage progresses further it can result in the musty odor that can easily adapt into mold/mildew.
Home remedies for musty smells in homes?
- Let in fresh air! One of the easiest and best ways to help filter out and remove musty and moldy smells that are hanging in the air of your home is by opening windows and doors and letting fresh air fill the indoor space. What happens is when you have a home that has restricted ventilation it will create an accumulation of pollutants, chemicals, and odors in the air that will need to be flushed out with fresh air by opening these windows and doors. This will also help to alleviate the level of these pollutants, along with mitigating trapped odors like musty smell in the home.
- Increase air flow! Along with poor ventilation in a home, restricted air flow may also be an exacerbating cause to the musty odors in your home. Air flow helps to push out the stagnant air and remove it from the space, replacing it with fresh air. Thus, if you find that the odors and/or pollutants are increasing in your air, it may be time to consider adding fans to the space – especially important, is using ventilation fans to help in this odor removal process in your home’s air.
- Air Purifier for musty moldy smell! An air purifier is another great resource that can be used in a home or other personal indoor environment to help improve the indoor air quality while also removing pollutants and odors from the air.
If these home remedies fail to remove the musty moldy odour from your home it may be time to hire a qualified mold remediation contractor to come and evaluate the home for source of mold. There are many qualified mold remediation companies that can help remove these pesky odours from your home, make sure you follow up with referrals and reviews to ensure you are receiving the best service possible.