Parenting is one of life’s greatest joys. Each day brings new lessons, and an endless supply of love and affection. As a parent, you want what is best for your children and not to worry when they feel ill or show unexpected rashes or allergies. Although most childhood illnesses are caused by viral infections that pass quickly, some children can have much more chronic symptoms. If your child has been experiencing a persistent respiratory illness that that just isn’t going away, and you’ve ruled out other potential causes, mold may be the culprit.

Here are some common ways that mold might secretly be causing your child’s health issues and what you can do about it.

Mold Allergies

If your child has been coughing, sneezing, itching or having difficulty breathing, there is a possible chance they may be allergic to mold. Although most people associate mold with hot, humid places, mold spores are found in every environment. Mold spores can even grow inside your home year round if there are the right moisture conditions.

Mold allergies and mold health problems typically cause these symptoms:

– Sneezing

– Coughing

– Itchy, watery eyes

– Runny or stuffed nose

– Elevated Asthma

– Difficulty breathing or chest tightness

– Skin rashes

Just like other allergies, mold allergies are caused by your child’s immune system overreacting to inhaling mold spores. When your child inhales these microscopic, airborne spores, the immune system unleashes antibodies trying to destroy the spores. This cycle is what continually keeps your child sick and uncomfortable.

If you live in a humid climate, have a family history of severe allergies, or suspect your child may be allergic to mold, seek immediate attention from a medical professional. An allergies or immunologist can perform a quick test to determine if your child is allergic to mold. If your child is allergic to mold, treatment options rage from over the counter allergy medications to allergy shots and asthma inhalers.

What is also equally important is improving the indoor air quality in your home to keep the mold spores at bay. The best way to combat this is hire a professional. Coastal Pure Air specializes in removing both the airborne mold and pathogens as well as removing the surface mold. You can also improve the indoor air quality in your home by running an air purifier device, increasing airflow in the home with open windows and running a dehumidifier to reduce the relative humidity.

Black Mold & Toxic Mold

Mold can make your child sick in a more toxic way, through black mold spores. In addition to respiratory symptoms, black mold can also cause constant fatigue, migraine headaches, sickness, nausea and even internal bleeding.

Black mold can also be extremely difficult and expensive to treat. This is why this toxic mold should be eliminated and removed as soon as possible. Utilizing dehumidifiers and air purifiers will help remove the mold spores from the air. It is also highly recommended that you repair all water leaks and add proper ventilation to humid areas such as bathrooms, attics, crawl spaces and basements.

Mold Treatment

Mold can and will enter your home whenever there is a water intrusion or high relative humidity. That is why it is crucial to have proper ventilation in areas such as bathrooms, crawl spaces, attics and basements. For instance if your windows have excessive condensation there’s a chance mold can thrive on them. It’s best to have your windows repaired or replaced to prevent mold growth.

If you see mold growing on your walls, regardless of the color, repaint the walls using a mold inhibitor to prevent the mold from spreading. If none of these methods work, contact Coastal Pure Air to ensure all the mold in your home is killed and prevented from returning.

Regardless of whether or not mold is making your child sick, it is always best to see a pediatrician or immunologist for a professional opinion. A qualified medical professional can properly evaluate your child’s symptoms and determine their causes. Sometime a minor cold is just a inconvenience, however if your child’s symptoms are interrupting daily life, it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *